As a homeowner, one must be willing to put in the time and money to making sure our homes stay in tip top shape. After a passing storm, or the damage of passing time sets in, one’s roof can be subject to a beating. It is in these scenarios that one must look to having the roof replaced or repaired. Keeping one’s roof well maintained is important to making sure that the rest of the house stays safe from the elements. When there is a need for roofing repairs, one must look for a good residential roofer to take on the job.
Choosing a good residential roofing contractor may seem daunting to homeowners. You have to make sure that you aren’t just swindled by roofers who just come flying by after a storm. So as a homeowner, how can you make sure that you are picking a good residential roofing contractor? Well here are mistakes that you should avoid.
- Not doing your research – When you are looking for a residential roofing contractor, you should do your homework. You will know that a residential roofer is well established when they have a physical location. It is also very helpful to read on the reviews of other customers on residential roofers. Lastly, you should check out the status of the roofer on the Better Business Bureau where you can see how they are rated.
- Picking one without a license or insurance – There is always a possibility where the roofers can get injured during the repairing or they are not able to do a good enough job and further damage sets in months after the work is done. In these cases, you do not want to be shouldering any additional expenses which is why you should pick a residential roofer that has a license and insures their workers.
- Not getting a written estimate – You should avoid roofers that prefer to do an under-the-table mode of payment. It is very important that you get a written estimate of how much the work is going to cost you. You should know what materials you are paying for, how much the labor is, etc. Doing so will help guarantee the investment and also be useful in comparing different roofers.
- Not getting a warranty – If your roofer sees their work as something to take pride in, then they should be able to provide you with a comprehensive warranty. Warranties will help you in the long run should there be any issue with the materials that were used in the repair work or any problems in the workmanship of the repair or roof replacement.
- Making a decision based on price – Making a decision based solely on the price of the work is not a very smart move. Although you should try to compare the different quotes you get from residential roofers, you should make a decision based on the quality that they are able to provide their clients. Your home’s roof deserves no less than a quality repair.